Thursday, December 16, 2010

Apple Cranberry French Toast

As the holidays approach, so do the millions of potlucks and events I've found myself cooking and baking for. I had a brief period of panic last week when I couldn't figure out what to make for a couple events where I would be providing dessert. I figured it out and all is well. In fact, at least one of those items will pop up here later (probably after the holidays, when I have some extra free time).

Anyway, last Sunday my knitting group hosted a brunch-themed potluck and I knew JUST what I wanted to make. Last year around the holidays, my friend Angie posted a picture of Apple Cranberry French Toast & I added it to the list of things to make. It was PERFECT for a brunch party.

YIP 165.365 Apple Cranberry French Toast


The recipe is so easy that you won't believe how tasty it is. It does take a little thought ahead of time, as the whole thing has to soak at least overnight before you bake it, but SO WORTH IT.

From Angie's version:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 teaspoons cinnamon (divided)
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1 loaf Italian or French Bread, cut into 1-inch slices
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Combine brown sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Add apples and cranberries, toss to coat well. Spread apple mixture evenly over bottom of baking dish Arrange slices of bread on top.

2. Mix eggs, milk, vanilla, and remaining 2 teaspoons cinnamon until well blended.
Pour mixture over bread, soaking bread completely. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 24
hours.

3. Bake, covered with aluminum foil in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.
Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer ( I baked it 10 minutes longer). Remove from
oven; let stand 5 minutes. Serve warm.

Makes 12 servings.
The only thing I really did differently is that I used some apples Mindy & I had canned from our trip to Eckert's last year. They were Fuji's canned in a light simple syrup, so I probably should have used just a smidge less sugar.

Go ahead, make up a batch to toss in the oven for Christmas morning. By the time all the presents are unwrapped, you'll have a tasty breakfast ready to eat.

This is part of a continuing series of posts chronicling favorite internet recipes we've encountered over the years. Some recipes are in their original form, while most have been adapted to fit our personal tastes and cooking styles.

1 comments:

Annie said...

Kara, this sounds so delicious! I think I'll have to try it this weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...